In September, I wrote about my Link Collection to Various Genealogy & History Resources Online. This collection is my Diigo bookmark library targeted at genealogy. I created a list for each state, as well as a few countries and various topics. There is also a list for general genealogy resources. Over the next week or so, I will highlight some of these lists.
Following is a list of my favorite Iowa resources. I use many of them on a regular basis.
Iowa Digital Library – This website is maintained by The University of Iowa Libraries. There are dozens of digital collections, including Women’s Suffrage in Iowa, Iowa Counties Historical Atlases, Iowa Maps, and Historic Iowa Children’s Diaries.
Iowa WPA Graves Survey – Tombstone transcriptions that were originally collected by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
State Historical Society of Iowa Archive Holdings – Information on the records they have. Also has a death index, by county, for deaths prior to 1935.
Digital Archives of Cedar Rapids Public Library – Free access to digital images of several area newspapers, including Des Moines and Marion, as well as Cedar Rapids city directories and telephone books.
Iowa History Timeline – Good timeline of events relative to Iowa history, from eReference Desk.
Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of the Rebellion – Six volumes of books of Iowa regimental histories and soldiers related to the Civil War.
- Volume 1 - Covers 1st through 8th Infantry Regiments.
- Volume 2 - Covers 9th through 16th Infantry Regiments.
- Volume 3 - Covers 17th through 31st Infantry Regiments.
- Volume 4 - Covers 1st through 9th Calvary Regiments.
- Volume 5 - Covers 32nd through 48th Infantry Regiments.
- Volume 6 - Covers miscellaneous organizations of the Mexican War, Indian campaigns, War of the Rebellion and the Spanish-American and Philippine wars; together with historical sketches of volunteer organizations.
I’m always updating these resources, so be sure to check back regularly. To receive updates to the Iowa Genealogy list, you can subscribe via RSS. You can also subscribe to my entire collection at for updates to all of my lists.