I actually do have several people in my database associated with Indiana. Most of them are very distant relatives or related to my husband. But one family is that of a great-grandaunt, who left Illinois and lived in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. It’s a very tangled web, one with multiple marriages and questions of paternity. While I think I have most of the story figured out, there is still some work to be done.
I thought I’d share with you some of the online resources that have been helpful in my quest. I know this week is about Indiana, but the family I’m working with was situated in places in Michigan and Ohio that were near Indiana so I’m including those resources as well.
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959 (FamilySearch) – The was literally just updated yesterday, and I suspect it was the images that were added. When I used this database a few months ago, there were no images.
- Indiana, Marriage Collection, 1800-1941 (Ancestry)
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994 (FamilySearch)
- US City Directories, 182101989 (Ancestry) – Has what I needed for Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Marion, Indiana. Also has Detroit and Chicago for the years I need, but I had previously used Fold3 (see below).
- Chicago City Directories (Fold3)
- Detroit City Directories (Fold3)
- Saint Joseph, Indiana Marriage Database (South Bend Area Genealogical Society)
- Cook County Genealogy Online (Cook County Clerk)
- WWI Draft Registration Cards (Ancestry)
- WWII Draft Registration Cards (Ancestry)
- Various censuses on Ancestry
- Find A Grave