Picture

Picture

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

FGS 2011 – Recap of Day 4

Saturday It’s deja vu…another day of sessions and making my way around the exhibit hall.  Since it was the final day, I had to make it count!

Digital Scrapbooking – I have to be honest, I was prepared to attend a different session at this time, but it was full.  So it was on to my second choice.  Although I’m not really that interested in scrapbooking, Linda Woodward Geiger made the topic interesting.  And although I didn’t walk away with a strong desire to start scrapbooking, I did come away with a few scanning tips that will come in handy on other projects.

Michigan Roots: Genealogy Research in the Wolverine State – This was one of my must-see lectures, and sadly some things came up and I had to leave early and attend to my conference duties.  But here’s a brief synopsis of what I did manage to catch.  Kris Rzepczynski stepped through various record types and discussed time periods for each, what the records might reveal, and where to find them.  He also talked about a few statewide resources, including those related to the Michigan pioneer program.  Kris also recommended the following two books, one of which I had been eyeing just prior to the session (I did go back and purchase it later in the day, along with the other one):  Michigan Place Names (Walter Romig) and Michigan Genealogy (Carol McGinnis).  He also recommended the NGS Research in the States series for Michigan, which I think I already own.  You can purchase the recording of the session here.

Using Diaries and Journals to Add Personality to Your Research Laura Prescott discussed the use of journals/diaries in genealogy research to give us perspective, insight, and a tangible connection to the past.  After seeing some of the gems she shared with us, I really want to go out and find whatever I can to supplement my own research…these sources are truly priceless.  One main point Laura brings up with regard to locating diaries/journals (along with other genealogical resources) is not to overlook university libraries.  Many times these rare resources were given to local universities before historical societies and public libraries existed.

In addition to the sessions, I attended a vendor demo for National Institute for Genealogical Studies in hopes of winning the door prize for a 9-course package so I could continue my certificate program.  Even though I am a student, I did learn a few things, so it was certainly worth attending, even if I didn’t win the door prize.

It was a hectic day with conference duties, and I ended up missing my scheduled luncheon with NGS.  I’m bummed because I really wanted to hear Janet Alpert’s presentation, How My Illinois German Ancestors Have Made Me a Better Genealogist.

I had a nice dinner with fellow genealogists Lisa Alzo, Amy Coffin, Caroline Pointer, Thomas MacEntee, and Paula Hinkel.  The night ended with a relaxing conversation with fellow ISGS board members Jane Haldeman, Carole McCarty, Larry Pepper, and Michele Claypool.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...