Picture

Picture

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Family Heirlooms

Because my mom lives in constant fear of forest fires, she has an evacuation plan in place.  Instead of fretting over what to take during a stressful evacuation, she grabs the list and starts packing.  Even though I don't live in constant threat of forest fires, there are several other disasters that could occur.

I'm willing to bet that all of us family historians have files upon files of research used to construct our trees.  I'm sure there are some of us who have some sort of "plan" to back up data on our computers or store hard-copies in fire-proof safes or in another location (if you don't, I suggest you have a plan in place).  While some of these items could be replaced, such a death certificates, census data, etc.) there are some things that absolutely cannot be replaced.  I'm talking about family heirlooms.

Many of us are so concerned with all of the records we've accumulated because of the blood, sweat, and tears that went into finding them, they we may overlook these precious heirlooms.  So, following in the footsteps of my mom, I'm going to think long and hard and develop my own disaster plan.

I'm also interested to see what family heirloom(s) you would risk saving in the event of a disaster.  Write a post on your blog explaining what you would save and why (include a picture if you like).  If you'd like to participate, please send me an email with the link to your post by September 13.  I will post them on my blog the week of the 14th.

Originally posted @ my LiveJournal blog on 28 August 2008.

Julie


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...