Picture

Picture

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Getting to Know Me, Getting to Know GenBlog

So what's behind the GenBlog facade?  Well, if you strip away the blog, you have me, Julie, a professional communicator by day and a family historian by night.  GenBlog is essentially a combination of these two passions. 

I started researching my my family nearly a year-and-a-half ago, so yes, I am still a newbie and still have lots to learn.  You can learn more by reading the post How My Genealogical Journey Began.

But why in the world did I start to blog about my family history?  It started out back at the end of July this year, when I came across the blog AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors, so I have Miriam to blame...er, credit.  *wink*  While checking out her blog, I found a link to the Genea-Bloggers group on Facebook.  When I checked this out, I saw that there were several people out there who have these types of blogs.  I thought this was a great idea, so I jumped on board.  I think being a part of this group keeps me accountable for my blog.  I truly believe that if this group did not exist and if I had not become friends with so many other Genea-Bloggers, this blog would certainly not be what it is today, at only two months old.

So what's GenBlog all about?  When I started it, I planned to post mini biographies of family members (you can read more under About GenBlog on the sidebar).  However, after getting involved with the Genea-Bloggers I have implemented regular "columns" such as Family Events and Wordless Wednesday.  In addition, I've participated in several carnivals and memes, which add much variety to this blog.  I also began to include hints and tips and news-type items.  Again, this blog is in its infancy, but I am proud to say that I've been nurturing it, and it will continue to blossom.

Below is a list of my three best articles so far.

The BrightestLiving Events is an article I wrote about a lesson learned from performing my research, which has evidentially helped others.

The BreeziestBrick Wall - Emil MILLER/MULLER is an article I wrote about a research dilemma; I like to bring sass to my research.

The BeautifulMini-Bio - Harold L. MILLER (1918-1982) is about my grandfather; it was emotional for me to write, I think that's what brings it so much beauty.

Working in the business writing and communications fields for many years has taught me to get to the point quickly while still providing all of the relevant information.  You will see some of that on this blog.  But, the best thing about this blog is that I can bring my own style and wit back to my writing, so you'll see a lot of that too!

So there you have it.  A little bit about me, and a lot about GenBlog!

Written for the Getting to Know You Challenge for Bloggers, hosted by Terry Thornton at Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi.

Originally posted @ my LiveJournal blog on 23 September 2008.

Julie


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...