Thursday, April 18, 2013

Genealogy By the States – Week 15 – Kentucky


I’ve been trying to learn a little more about my husband’s Williams family who lived in the area of Kentucky where Caldwell, Christian, and Hopkins counties meet. 

Back in December 2011, I learned the name of his great-grandparents, James Pearl WILLIAMS and Norma Ola “Nola” BOYD.  I then found an index entry for their marriage in 1905 in Christian County.  And in February 2012, I retrieved their marriage record while I was at the FHL.1

Pearl Williams Marriage Record

Today, I found a marriage announcement in the Hokinsville Kentuckian at Chronicling America.2

Pearl Williams Marriage Annoucement

I know from Pearl’s death certificate that his parents were given as James WILLIAMS and Lou DUNNING.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything on them in the censuses (Pearl would likely be living with them in 1900 as he didn’t marry until 1905—but I can’t find them!).

Working with the name James Williams across three Kentucky counties is not easy.  But today, I managed to find a marriage index entry on Ancestry for a James Williams and a Luwandy Dunning, who married in 1873 in Hopkins County.  Seems promising; Luwandy could equal Lou, right time, right place.  So I plan to obtain a copy of the marriage record and see what clues it might hold.

Making progress!


1.  Christian County, Kentucky, Christian County Marriage Records, 1797-1971, 16: 28-29, Williams-Boyd; FHL microfilm 1,942,960. 

2.  "Williams-Boyd, Young People of Near Empire Married This Week," Hopkinsville Kentuckian, 2 September 1905, p. 2, col. 2; digital images, Chronicling America (chroniclingamerica.loc.gov : accessed 16 April 2013), Historic American Newspapers.

Genealogy By the States is a theme created by Jim Sanders over at the Hidden Genealogy Nuggets blog.



Angie Mood said...

Thanks for the great reminder to use multiple sources when researching!

Julie Cahill Tarr said...

No problem, Angie! I think we all need those reminders periodically...keeps us on our toes!

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...