Picture

Picture

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Genealogy By the States – Week 15 – Kentucky

Kentucky

I’ve been trying to learn a little more about my husband’s Williams family who lived in the area of Kentucky where Caldwell, Christian, and Hopkins counties meet. 

Back in December 2011, I learned the name of his great-grandparents, James Pearl WILLIAMS and Norma Ola “Nola” BOYD.  I then found an index entry for their marriage in 1905 in Christian County.  And in February 2012, I retrieved their marriage record while I was at the FHL.1

Pearl Williams Marriage Record

Today, I found a marriage announcement in the Hokinsville Kentuckian at Chronicling America.2

Pearl Williams Marriage Annoucement

I know from Pearl’s death certificate that his parents were given as James WILLIAMS and Lou DUNNING.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything on them in the censuses (Pearl would likely be living with them in 1900 as he didn’t marry until 1905—but I can’t find them!).

Working with the name James Williams across three Kentucky counties is not easy.  But today, I managed to find a marriage index entry on Ancestry for a James Williams and a Luwandy Dunning, who married in 1873 in Hopkins County.  Seems promising; Luwandy could equal Lou, right time, right place.  So I plan to obtain a copy of the marriage record and see what clues it might hold.

Making progress!

Sources

1.  Christian County, Kentucky, Christian County Marriage Records, 1797-1971, 16: 28-29, Williams-Boyd; FHL microfilm 1,942,960. 

2.  "Williams-Boyd, Young People of Near Empire Married This Week," Hopkinsville Kentuckian, 2 September 1905, p. 2, col. 2; digital images, Chronicling America (chroniclingamerica.loc.gov : accessed 16 April 2013), Historic American Newspapers.


Genealogy By the States is a theme created by Jim Sanders over at the Hidden Genealogy Nuggets blog.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Angie Mood said...

Thanks for the great reminder to use multiple sources when researching!

Julie said...

No problem, Angie! I think we all need those reminders periodically...keeps us on our toes!

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...