Picture

Picture

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rottman Letter, 3 June 1940

A continuation of letters written by my great-grandfather, George Rottman.  The letters were written to his children while he was away from home visiting family in Iowa and Wisconsin in the 1940s.

This letter was postmarked 3 June 1940 from Lisbon, Iowa.  It was sent to Marge Rottman in Chicago.  The letter was written to Marge Rottman, Ed Rottman, Marie (Rottman) Miller, and Harold Miller.  A transcription follows the images.


Lisbon Ia
Sunday.

Dear Marge Ed Marie & Harold

Just a few lines to let you know I got here O.K. at 1:00 P.M.  No trouble of any kind.  They were glad I came.  Sis has got a new car but cant drive yet.  I havnt even been in the car yet as I only got here.  The folks are comming up for dinner to-day, also Geo & Ethel [Coster].  The garden is nice so are the schrubs.  They are mostly in bloom  Jake [Hoag] has got things pretty clear.  I am going to start on the Garage tomorrow.  Then the next is a Door in the kitchen where a window was  I am telling them what I am going to-do and how I am going to do it. and they seem to agree with me whole heartedly.  Sis says go ahead and do what you think best.  So that makes more pleasant conditions to work under.  And I have to take time out to learn Sis to drive as she is not alowed to drive at all without there is a licensed drive with her.  Clarence drove the car Decoration Day  They have only driven it about 14 miles.  Clarance says this fish are not biting at all.  So I don't suppos[e] I will go fishing untill next Sat  Well this is about all I have to tell you at this time.  So will close hoping to hear from you soon

Love to all

Dad

Box 223

Transcribed by Julie Marie CAHILL Tarr, 24 August 2008.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...