Here's a quick status on my "homework." View the original post for details of my "assignment."
Thanks to a RAOGK from Colleen, I was able to find a little more about my gg-grandfather Thomas CAHILL and his wife Margaret MILLETT, as well as my ggg-grandparents Michael CAHILL and Anne HALE. Following is part of the original post:
I am fairly certain that my gg-grandfather, Thomas Robert CAHILL was born in Thomastown, Kilkenny, Leinster, Ireland in 1860. As far as I can tell, his parents (my ggg-grandparents), Michael CAHILL and Anne HALE were born in Ireland probably between 1834-1838. Thomas married Margaret MILLETT, likely from Kilkenny as well. They were not married in Ireland; instead they were married in Illinois in 1887. It appears in the U.S. census data that they immigrated at different times, so I am not sure if they knew each other in Ireland or not. I also suspect that Margaret's parents, John MILLET and Mary RYAN were also born in Ireland.
Through the Irish Family History Foundation I tracked down some church records and here's what I've found/confirmed:
- Confirmed - Thomas was born in Thomastown, Kilkenny, Ireland in 1860.
- Found - Michael and Anne were married in Thomastown, Kilkenny on 30 January 1855.
- Confirmed - Margaret was born in Old Grand, Kilkenny in 1863.
- Found - Somewhere along the line, Margaret's name was changed to MILLETT from MILOT.
- Confirmed - Margaret's parents were John MILOT/MILLETT and Mary RYAN.
- Confirmed - Thomas had a sister Margaret, born in Thomastown, Kilkenny circa 1867.
That's all for now. Stay tuned!
Originally posted @ my LiveJournal blog on 3 October 2008.